Saturday, August 29, 2009
So without further delay, here are some pre-season projections and predictions for the upcoming year:
- USC will win at least 7 games. However, I'm not sure they will have less than 5 losses. With games @ CAL, @ Oregon, @ Arizona State, @ Notre Dame, and @ Ohio State, it's going to be a tough road to travel - and did I mention they start a true freshmen at QB for the first time ever. It will be interesting to see how this team responds to adversity and loss when they start to face it this yeear. Can they keep it together under the Hollywood lights? I've said it before and will say it again, this is the year to get Pete's squad in the PAC-10. Two predictions: they lose in September to Ohio State and in October to Notre Dame. BIG 10 and MIDWEST starts to get some credibility restored; and it all starts this year. However, the Trojans could still win the PAC-10.
- Notre Dame should get to 9 wins this year, especially with the 'soft' schedule. I know they still have USC on the schedule, but they should be favored in most games to win. However, they better beat Michigan in Ann Arbor or watch-out Charlie - it will get ugly. They probably make the BCS, but I don't agree with Lou Holtz that they'll be upset by Florida in Pasadena for the National Title.
- BIG-10 comes down to Penn State and Ohio State this year. And since Lions host the Buckeyes in early November (at night), the Chief likes Paterno over Tressel this time.
- TEXAS should win the BIG-12. Oklahoma will be a close 2nd (too much uncertainty on the offensive line this year). Florida wins the SEC, again - no surprise here. Rutgers may just find a way to win the BIG EAST this season. And it should come down to Georgia Tech and Va Tech in the ACC. That's a coin toss in my mind - conference is always hard to predict.
- National title will likely go to Florida for only the 3rd time in the last 31 years, as back-to- back Nationial Champs. They will likely play the BIG-12 South Champion, either Texas or Oklahoma.
- As for the Chief, it all depends on the QB play this year. Can Juice and/or Eddie lead us to another 8, 9, or 10-win campaign? It's going to be tough with schedule we have this year. But, I'm not sure too many teams can hang with our offense when it fires on all cylinders. Defense should be OK, especially as the season progresses. As long as we start out at least 2-2 (with the first 4 being Mizzou, ISU, Ohio State, and Penn State) things will be OK. Obviously, getting out to that crutial win over Mizzou is key. Same for the home game with Penn State. We need consistent play from September through November to avoid another 5-7 or 4-8 type disappointment. I think we get it done in 2009 and post 8-4 by when it's all said and done.
There you go. You heard it all here first. Or 2nd. Anyway, it's all in good fun. Check back early and often to see how these come to fruition over the next 13 weeks or so. No matter how it turns out, I'm sure we all agree it will be more fun than we deserve. Take care ....