Saturday, December 06, 2008
Week #15 - BCS is set
And kudos to Army. I know they lost 34-0 today to Navy, but that game is about one thing: tradition. I've never been to an Army/Navy game, but I know I should go someday. All give some. Some give all. Some matter more. How about the camouflage unis? Nice touch. Support our troops.
My New TOP-10:
- Florida - Tebow is on fire. His legacy is confirmed as one of the best ever in Gator history. Love him or not, the guy knows how to lead the troops. Under his guide, they owned the 4th quarter tonight against Bama. Juice can learn a lot about leadership from Tebow. Kid is special. Kid is legend. Maybe he should win it back to back? One hell of a 4th quarter.
- Oklahoma - I mean come on. 5th straight game with 60+ points. That's never happened before in FBS competition. This team is loaded with talent all over the place. Championship game is going to be something special.
- Texas - Left out of the BIG-12 Championship wasn't right. But, it's hard to argue with #2 right now. OU is a worthy BIG-12 rep. BIG-12 is expected to fix its tiebreaker rule for next year, but that does little right now to help Mac's club. Never fear, they'll take out their frustration on Ohio State.
- USC - One of the fabulous four (see 1-3 above). But over the past 5 years, these four teams have dominated the CFB landscape. It's arguable, but year in and year out these four programs are the best in the business. And while the offense may be down a bit this year, the men of Troy are probably the best defensive squad in the nation. And defense wins championships. What would we have if they had beat the BEAVS? Never fear, they'll go to their 4th Rose Bowl under Carroll and put the smack down on JoePa's Lions.
- Alabama - It's never good to loose. But it's worse to loose late. Another example of a conference championship costing a great football team a shot at something more. The Tide should be proud after last year's 6-6 performance. They were the only FBS team to go 12-0 in the regular season. Their reward, Utah in New Orleans. Never fear, they'll take out their frustration on the Utes. Just too much of everthing.
- Penn State - Just one little blemish on the schedule this year in Iowa City. Enjoy the trip to SoCal next month. Disneyland and Lawry's will be fun. Good luck against USC.
- Texas Tech - Great year for Leach. He's coming back to Lubbock. Even better for TT. They'll get a chance to impress the nation again in the Cotton Bowl.
- Utah - Only non-BCS team to really earn it this year (beat OS, beat TCU, beat BYU, and beat Michigan early). 12-0 is deserving of the chance to get whacked in the Sugar Bowl.
- Oklahoma State - 4th team in the mighty BIG-12 South this year. 3 tough losses against the BIG-3 is no reason to hang your head.
- Ohio State - Down this year, but the future looks bright with Pryor. Defense will always be a strength here. Now, they add offense for 2009. Uh oh!
Chief on the Tribe - Tough loss a few nights ago at home to Clemson in the BIG-10 / ACC challenge. But, good teams learn from their mistakes. Illinois 76 - Georgia 42. We held them to 19 points in the 2nd half inside the friendly confines of the UNITED CENTER (Chicago). McCamey and Davis continue to do most of the scoring on the young season. This one was no different. What was different was the defensive intensity. 42 points in 40 minutes. That's what I'm talking about. At 7-1 we have no bad losses to date this year. And with 4 of our next 5 at home in Champaign, I like our chances at starting off 11-2 or 12-1 before conference play opens on the road with Purdue. In there is the border-War game with Mizzou on 12/23.